Saturday, September 11, 2010

Korean cooking class!

     Last semester I took a Korean cooking class through the Dajeon International Community Centre, and it was so much fun!  Three of my friends and I would attend our class in a cooking school every second Friday, it was only 50,000 Won for 5 classes and we had a feast every class!  We learned to cook some really delicious things, which have become staple meals for us, and we made a lovely friend: our wonderful interpreter! So, because it was so fun, and because I love food, I have been waiting excitedly for the next class to start! 
     Yesterday we started again, and we had a "Chuseok," (a harvest festival from the 21st-24th of September) themed class this week.  We made 송편 (song-pyon), which is a traditional Chuseok dessert.  It's a glutinous rice cake that can be stuffed with sweet red bean paste (no matter how much I try, I really can't get a taste for that stuff), honey, chestnut or sesame paste.  Then these little dumplings are steamed with pine needles and rubbed with sesame oil!  They're pretty delicious, but super labor intensive-I mean realistically, I will probably never make them again in my life.  
Our cooking academy!


선생님 (our lovely teacher)
Kelly stuffing her little 송편
Obviously Nicole was practicing at home for months before this class... (I need to give a disclaimer here: I am not talking in the third person, there are 2 of us.)
Ta da!





3 comments:

  1. everything was fine until i got to the last photo of you with a massive fake smile. fake smile = fake story. are you even in korea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally going to find some way to block you from my blog! You are such a heckler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny Tim - heckling as a good spectator sport is entertaining, but perhaps you missed the point of the story :)
    Nic's mom

    ReplyDelete