Friday, September 3, 2010

newer, prettier blog...

Resolution: to be a better blogger... 
I know I've said it before, but maybe having a nicer blog will motivate me to write more frequently.  Actually, seeing how visually appealing my friends' blogs are, like laserkelly.blogspot.com and farmboyandcitygirlhitasia.blogspot.com made me realize how unsatisfying my blog was... so here it is: shiny new blog.  
Living in Korea, I feel like there's at least one thing that I see, or that happens everyday that makes me laugh.  I think there's something good for the soul about living somewhere where daily events, or encounters can make you smile or laugh so frequently.  I'm going to try to record these things so that I don't forgot all of them.
Encounter of the day: The adashis (old men) at my local gym for the most part just do their thing, and get their workout on with no notice of me.  That is, of course with the exception of a guy I like to call "jeans warrior," (you can guess what his favorite workout outfit is). EVERY single time I see him at the gym, he swaggers up to me, chest puffed out like a peacock and makes the same chit chat: "You Canada?" and I respond: "Yes." Then he makes a big show of standing next to me and measuring how tall I am in comparison to him, and when he sees to his "amazement" (every time he is equally shocked) that I am taller than him, he announces this to the whole gym and makes a big scene of how disappointed he is.  Because if it weren't for that, I'm sure we would be happily together (sarcasm).  He then moves on to measure how long my legs are in comparison to his, and repeats the whole theatrical show of disappointment again.  He is "Mr. cool" according to the ajumas at my gym, who always giggle at this elaborate scene that is happening-while I am trying to ignore him and just continue lifting weights and he is standing beside me showboating.  So anyways, I've started to just completely pretend I don't understand him when he talks to me, because it is super annoying when you are just trying to work out.  So, yesterday he struck again, but this time, because I didn't acknowledge him, he just announced to all the other adashis and ajumas "size long" and pointed at me.  To which all the adashis mumbled in agreement and head nodding, "nay, size long..."  or  "long size...nay."  It's kind of an unflattering description, but rather than making it the usual annoying jeans warrior encounter, it just made me smile and chuckle to myself...oh Konglish, you warm my heart every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment